Why Final Fantasy is a whore, and Square-Enix changing that isn't helping

by Tom Robinson Featured 55 Comments 41 Votes 6214 Views 01/08/2012 Back to Articles

Square-Enix is a funny company. Probably once the most successful of the Japanese video-game giants, nowadays they are a shadow of their former self. But what caused the change? Their ideologies never changed - neither did their games. Square-Enix is still publishing the typical JRPG every day. So what's different?

The answer is simple: Final Fantasy.

I love Final Fantasy. I spent hours as a kid being a kickass dragoon with a huge spear, or laughing at Aerith's death. But the recipe that made the games successful has been changed, and people nowadays are just not feeling the same magic in today's games as I did when I was a kid. The graphics and detail of a game are becoming more and more intricate with every instalment, so why is it that they're failing?

Well... they changed it, that's what.

Don't get me wrong, change isn't necessarily a bad thing: it's just that people generally don't like it when you change a formula they've been used to for several games and many instalments. I mean, when people are used to doing nothing but press 'X' over and over until an enemy dies, they'll get irate when they actually have to think.

Take the latest major Final Fantasy title that was released: Final Fantasy XIV. The game was announced to be in development and was quickly released just a few months later. It sucked, horribly, and so much so that the developers of the game decided that it needed to be remade completely and that the users of the game would not need to pay a cent to play for several months after.

And that’s not the only failure that Square-Enix has endured in recent years. Final Fantasy XIII and its sequel were generally received positively but were harshly criticised for a ‘meh’ combat system and overly-intricate storyline that didn’t really seem to make any sense. Moving from their last “good” title, Final Fantasy X, into the haphazard mess that was Final Fantasy XII was the signal for their coming downfall.

At least on the positive side of things, Square-Enix has realised that this is the case so they’ve gone about and whored out the whole series. Seriously, if you boot up your favourite web-browser and try and look to see if you can play Final Fantasy on your iOS device, you’ll find several of the games already on there, ready to go. But why can you play the older, “classic” titles and not the most popular games of the series: Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII.

Where are the remakes for these games? It’s hilarious for the fans of these games to even think they’re coming. “But don’t you want to see a hi-resolution Tifa?!” people will ask. No, not really, I always tell them. Square-Enix is too busy whoring them out to grant me this gloriousness.

We can take from their recent game history that Square-Enix is struggling a little bit in their Final Fantasy franchise: they’re not in dire straits yet, not even close, but year by year and little by littles their sales will decrease. And what do they do then?

Well, they do what they’re doing now: whore out VII and VIII just that little bit more. It was recently announced that Final Fantasy VII will be re-released on PC with several updates: no, not graphical ones, but ones that people don’t even freaking need. What’s that, you’re going to go over to a buddy’s house? BETTER UPLOAD YOUR SAVE DATA TO THE CLOUD SAVE THAT IS NOW IN THE GAME BECAUSE GOD KNOWS I GO OVER TO MY FRIEND’S HOUSE TO PLAY FINAL FANTASY VII. And when I’m there, and I’m struggling with a tough boss, I can just pay them MORE of my money to give me huge stat and gil boosts! Yeah!

I’m just waiting for them to announce that they’re remaking the original Final Fantasy and porting it to Nintendo 3DS with shitty 3D that will hinder more than it will be useful. That you can’t turn off. With DLC. And a mandatory online connection. And you need the extra circle-pad to play it. Then I know that they’re doing really well. I mean, they’ve already ruined the series in the eyes of the fans, why not just make the metamorphosis complete?

Don’t worry, all you fans of Final Fantasy. Your beloved game series is still safe. Because a whore isn’t a whore while she still has self-respect, right?

By Thomas Robinson

Link to us http://wii.mmgn.com/Articles/final-fantasy-is-a-whore
n
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

Why Final Fantasy is a whore, and Square-Enix changing that isn't helping Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
I'm pretttttty sure a whore can be male :P Just sayin'

Japanese companies in general don't seem to have really recovered after the tsunami, and the economy isn't the best in Japan, but it isn't either in the US...but it's a very different market.

While Western publishers are playing it safe and releasing sequels, Japanese publishers are releasing sequels...of sequels. Then there is the back and forth bickering between the likes of Suda, Kojima, these legends that don't know whether Japanese development needs to be more "Western", or if it needs to take more risks.

FF will always be relevant because it has a video game fanbase equivalent of Star Trek; the fans will always love the games, as long as they don't sell out and completely change. FF is one of a few franchises that has gone from 2D to 3D and still offer a relatively consistent experience throughout its lifetime.

All that said, I hate Final Fantasy *plays CoD*

Beta said: I'm pretttttty sure a whore can be male Just sayin'

I forgot about you. Oops.
;)

But you're right about the relevance.
I think you used the wrong there. Just sayin'.

Could you say the same thing about Mario or COD?
*insert generic fanboy rage* but actually, you are right tom.
World Map, Airships, Side Quests, Chocobos and the original battle system. **** anything else.

CaptJoey said: Everything you said is a personal crybaby rant and should not be considered an Article. I hope you learn how to write a real article someday. Too many I's and me's in this. I'm not a FF fan exactly I prefer DQ myself, but you pack way too much salt in this.

One day, my friend, you will learn understand what an opinion piece is, and when that day comes your literary criticism will be valid.
You guys sure are using "whore" a lot in your article titles recently. [Shifty]

I have mixed feeling about the article itself, mainly cause I haven't really had issues with FFXII and i'm not sure if it's cause I don't care enough cause I'm not as nostalgic about it or if it's the opposite with other people they're TOO nostalgic about it.

More/less I agree with Gaetano about FF usually being fairly consistent with the experience.

FF Online games should be invalid to the actual FF series itself imo, as each FF game is usually a stand alone story.

FFXIV biggest issue iirc is that they had a level/exp cap per day to limit players? and I'm pretty sure that would've caused an upset, I don't know anything else about the game though, or whether that was true or not, but obviously this is would have cause an uproar for subscription based gaming.

Edit: I would love a new Final Fantasy Tactics though.

KojiDD said: You guys sure are using "whore" a lot in your article titles recently.

It happened twice [Shifty]

Ben said:

It happened twice

Feels like the third time to me [Derp]

I don't know why though.

Would this become a trend though? :P

KojiDD said:

Ben said:

It happened twice

Feels like the third time to me
I don't know why though.
Would this become a trend though?

I'd hope not, but depends if there's demand for our opinions on how things can be likened to whores :P
Whilst I agree that Final Fantasy hasn't been great since FFX (I enjoyed XII) Activision & Ubisoft are much bigger whores when it comes to yearly milked franchises with only the slightest changes.

I'm looking at you COD & AC spin offs there I said it *come at me bro*, yet it doesn't stop millions buying them every year [Shifty]

I hope that FFXV or Versus whatever it will be called can return the FF series to the standard that made me fall in love with RPG's & paved the way for games like Dragon age & Mass Effect.
Don't like Final Fantasy XIII? That's ok, we'll make a sequel! What's that, you don't like that one either? Well that's okay, we'll make another one!

I'm actually not joking, FFXIII-2 and its DLC end on cliffhangers
Final Fantasy Thirteen.....TWO....TTWWWWWOOOOO

Ben said: Final Fantasy Thirteen.....TWO....TTWWWWWOOOOO

In a few months it'll be Final Fantasy Thirteen Three [MOG]
I do think that since FFX, the quality has degraded and all the remakes are becoming more and more annoying, but I still am a FF fan (Or RPG/JRPG for that matter :P). I think they're trying to change too much, like online Final Fantasy. Sounds good but reality hits you and you see that it doesn't work. Instead of trying to be something they're not, why not start trying to do the things they can and fix up all the faults they've had? (This includes listening to fans react to their latest games and such [Facepalm])

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say that some of the FF games after X were bad (Excluding X-2. Which was horrible [Shifty]), they just lack too much and they don't deliver what fans want. Sure it has good graphics, but what happened to writting a great story before you worry about all that? Just make a game with an awesome story, good battle system and likable characters instead of trying to be Money Grabbers Square Enix.
There are probably a lot of haters for FF now. =/ But there are still a lot of loyal fans out there, including myself.

I get what you're trying to say and all, but some things like: FFXIII with an overly-intricate that didn't really make sense, in my opinion, I disagree with that. The story line was indeed intricate, but not OVERLY that it didn't make sense, in fact, to me it made perfect sense... =/ It would be great if you could specify exactly what didn't make sense in the game. Unless you never finished it, that's quite understandable.

And FFXIV, yeah it was bad... but are you listening to yourself, they realise that it's bad, they're even remaking the whole game, and it's even free for several months. Is that not enough (for this just this game)?? Or why not just wait till it's been completely remade before saying something else on it.

Ehh, Imma just stop there. =/ But hey, your entitled to your own opinion of course, not trying to stop you or anything. C: But I just wanted to share my opinion, as a fan and all. =w=

(Heheh, you can just disregard this comment now I guess... xD)

You do realise how difficult it would be to completely remake FF7 or 8 with modern graphics? The amount of time it would take them? They would never get it done with the extensive amount of the original. Then if they were to do anything less then that, the fans would be in outrage. In my opinion they are very smart to not go near it.

You are insulting them for making their games different? Isn't that exactly what Final Fantasy has always been about though? Every game has been different, goods and bads in their own way. The online ones can hardly count as an actual addition to the series though.

Sure FF12 was shocking as a Final Fantasy title. But if it didn't have that name attached everyone would have thought it was an amazing game. It just doesn't live up to a Final Fantasy expectation which sent the fans into outrage.

FF13s story made perfect sense if you paid attention, and yeah the battle system seems to take the pressure off of gamers, but have you battled a Long Gui, YOU NEED THE AUTO CHAIN.

The writer was not happy with the ending to the first one and wanted to continue it, and while 13-2 may not have been the best I respect his decision to continue it even if it was for self satisfaction. While it was not their best I like many others still enjoyed it so it was still a success.

What is wrong with them rereleasing titles for fans to re enjoy? It allows new fans to get their hands on the old titles and existing fans to play and enjoy them again without digging out their old consoles.

The games may be seen as getting easier, but realistically gaming in general IS getting easier to allow for a broader range of gamers and invite new gamers to into existing series. It isn't just Final Fantasy or Square Enix for that matter. All games are becoming easier.

To be honest while I agree with you on many points (especially laughing at Aeriths death :) ) I think if you are this annoyed at them over it, you should just quit the series, play FF7 alone in a corner and let the rest of us enjoy a fantastic series.

Kirkymax said: To me it sounds like you are just another one of the FF7 fanboys too but hurt to let go of the fact Square Enix isn't going to make a remake.
To be honest while I agree with you on many points (especially laughing at Aeriths death ) I think if you are this annoyed at them over it, you should just quit the series, play FF7 alone in a corner and let the rest of us enjoy a fantastic series.

This is hilarious.

Because I hate Final Fantasy 7.
this is a terrible article

stealth20k said: this is a terrible article

Thank you for your kind words. Why is it terrible?
I think it's a cool article. Makes alot of sense.

Good work Tom ;)

I look forward to see what FFXV has in store for us. Also, that FFVI image made me jizz [Derp]
Very relevant: www.newgrounds.com/...

metalliguy said: I think it's a cool article. Makes alot of sense.
Good work Tom

I love FFXIV as it is now. 2.0 can only be better.

renagadez said: I think you used the wrong there. Just sayin'.
Could you say the same thing about Mario or COD?

Oh no, Mario is an iconic figure that many can relate to. Not a whore.

CoD isn't a being... So it can't be a whore. However it can be milked. [MOG]

GreenThumb said:

renagadez said: I think you used the wrong there. Just sayin'.
Could you say the same thing about Mario or COD?

Oh no, Mario is an iconic figure that many can relate to. Not a whore.
CoD isn't a being... So it can't be a whore. However it can be milked.

lolol Good points.

Fixed it....well done sir. Why Final Fantasy is a whore, and Square-Enix changing that isnt helping

Ben said: Just putting it out there, great franchise before FFX. Terrible from there onwards.

Get the Adobe Flash Player to see this video.

10 was good.
I would actually like to get the new Final Fantasy [update??] on Android that recently just came out.
I also enjoyed Crisis Core on PSP, never got to play the DS FF though and other spin offs.

Both the Final Fantasy series and Metal Gear series are into their 25th year anniversaries.
MGS = around 20+ games/spin offs
FF = over 9000+ games/spin offs on many platforms.
Just sayin' ;)

iamtom said:
I love FFXIV as it is now. 2.0 can only be better.

it'll look even better if they make it perma-F2P [Shifty]

iamtom said:

Sure you say it's an opinion piece. I did too that's another way to say Crybaby Rant. I'm almost sure you made this whole thing just to get the attention you are getting. Makes my day knowing I shouldn't feel so sad and lonely others are worse off then I. Like maybe you. ;)

CaptJoey said:

iamtom said:

No worries chum, you have EVERY reason to continue feeling sad and lonely. ;)

This article's pretty spot-on, IMO. I'm not a huge fan of FF, so I have the luxury of not voiding my bowels with fury every time someone says a bad word about one of the games.

It seems to me like Square-Enix has lost all direction. They're riding off the successes of earlier games, fully aware that they have essentially a free pass to muck up anything and everything related to the franchise for years to come, simply because of their earlier successes.

Then again, I haven't enjoyed a jRPG since Square merged with Enix, so maybe I'm just a Bitter Betty. :P

CaptJoey said:

So all opinion pieces are crybaby rants? wat
I do love the title of this discussion.

Moving on, firstly @iamtom for hating FFVII... GTFO! on a positive note the article was a good read i quite agree with all your points. I really do wish though that Square return to form someday as when they do get it right it's epic.

So all opinion pieces are crybaby rants? wat

All opinion articles you DON'T agree with is mad, crybaby ranting. Everything else is a well-constucted piece of material.

Simple, really.

I have a rule for that, if its in the bible then its ok. That way Christians can't complain.

MX_Xizz0R said:

Lolz, i'm an atheist so that probably explains that :P

OllyEbbz said: Is it just me or is it a little wrong to have the word 'whore' in the title of an article on the main page of MMGN.com, a family friendly site? 3 times now ain't it?

I didn't realise we'd used it so many times, but I told El Editores what I was writing about a week or two before and they had no issue with it.

Also VII is a silly game.

iamtom said:
Also VII is a silly game.

I take it you're an VIII man?

I'm neutral, personally, but it seems everyone who didn't get into VII much preferred VIII, and vice-versa.

Pilkingbod said:

iamtom said:
Also VII is a silly game.

I take it you're an VIII man?

I prefer 8 to 7 but that doesn't mean I like either. I really like 9.
well i just plain like whores!.
I really do feel dirty replying to this text. I didn't like the desperately provocative title, but also felt like if I didn't at least give it a chance, I might be letting my radar for and disposition towards flamebaiting garbage get in the way of a potentially insightful writeup on SE's use of the FF brand. I lose, you win. You win twice even, since you trolled me into creating an account.

I think the most glaring problem here is the hypocrisy. The title of "whore" that you so boldly bestow upon SE in your title is based on their multiple re-releases of old FF titles, from what I read. A foundation for a solid criticism, if only you didn't follow it up with your real problem; they aren't giving you the remake *you want, as you want it*. You don't have any problem with them being whores when it comes down to it, as long as they turn those tricks in a way that suits you. You seem to be all for them milking old games, when it comes down to it. And you can hardly criticize them for releasing the original games on every platform when people keep buying them. People would throw a fit if they didn't. "Why can I play Minecraft on my Android and not FF?! Come on SE, get with it!!!!"

As far as the newer games go, I think it's interesting to note what you exclude, include, and gloss over. You're trying to make an argument for 3 games being the death cries of a series that is 13-deep in (the loosest sense of the word) canon only. While you correctly referenced the colossal failure that FFXIV was critically and commercially on release, why exclude the fact that it has undergone massive changes since then, and has not only picked up a lot go steam in recent months, but is set to pick up a whole lot more in coming months? You do bring up the fact that XIII was generally well-received, but then gloss over it as if it's another part of why the game sucked... For the record, the combat system is one of the only things about it that was widely praised, and I personally feel like it's one of the best in the series. It did require you to think and prepare though... But I'm getting off track.

Your apocalyptic horsemen here are: 2 games that were well received (let's say for sake of discussion 8s instead of usual FF 10s) and a game that is really just beginning to take shape and gain buzz. A lot of devs would kill to make portents of doom like that.

Honestly, I've been hearing this same exact kind of bitching since VIII, with the exception of IX (and mostly X). Everyone is mad because the new FF isn't FFVI or VII. Here is the truth though: If they kept these games too similar over the years, the backlash would be the same, if not worse. "SE just relies on the same formula over and over!" "SE just pastes different skins on the same game and resells it to you every year!" Most fans don't know exactly what it is they "want" next, they just remember what they have liked and experienced. While SE are not exactly peaking when it comes to quality *FF games at the moment (I thought Nier was fantastic), they'd be far worse if they let whining fans backseat-drive their creative direction. More FFVII anyone? Maybe this time in 3D? Spare me.

And spare me the dramatic critical writeups of the FF franchise while you're at it, as well as whatever attempt at a level-headed response you might be cooking up. I don't respect this trollish title, and I don't respect the content of the text. Why don't you do and write about something interesting; put your money where you mouth is (so to speak) and stop buying the games already. Call me crazy, but I'm not interested in the guy down the block complaining about all the "whores" on the corner when he openly admits to visiting them every chance he gets. Believe me, SE wi

Pilkingbod said:

iamtom said:
Also VII is a silly game.

I take it you're an VIII man?

I prefer 8 to 7 but that doesn't mean I like either. I really like 9.

Dear God, I came back to see if anyone else took a shit on this writeup, and I'm seeing in the comments that you don't seem to be much of a FF fan at all. So you like IX and X, maybe the SNES ones (you haven't mentioned those) too? You like 2 games out of 13 (15 with the two sequels). You aren't a FF dude, no matter what you might fancy calling yourself. You hate the series more than you like it. What a waste of everyone's time.

Troll on shithead.

HiAndBye said:

Pilkingbod said:

iamtom said:
Also VII is a silly game.

I take it you're an VIII man?

I prefer 8 to 7 but that doesn't mean I like either. I really like 9.

Troll on shithead.

I love Final Fantasy. I've beaten every single one of them. But I'm not allowed to have favourites outside of the shitty VII/VIII?

Come at me bro.
Is it safe to play when I'm older? X_X
The Last Remnant > Every FF game.

COME AT ME FANBOYS! GIVE ME YOUR WORST [Rage]

:P
you're a whor'a!

*throws money*

dance for me!
punk

I liked X.

*contributes immensely to the conversation*

HiAndBye said:

Pilkingbod said:

iamtom said:
Also VII is a silly game.

I take it you're an VIII man?

I prefer 8 to 7 but that doesn't mean I like either. I really like 9.

Troll on shithead.

Come at me bro.

Oh brother.

I did come at you, thoroughly and effectively (you know, in the comment you felt was better left without a reply). I basically did everything but double-check my work on a calculator to prove that this piece of writing is 100% trash. Why don't you come at me? Or don't, if the best you can come up with is repeating a tired internet catchphrase. If that's the case then I suppose it's far less damaging for you to just keep your mouth shut.

I'm guessing that you won't come much better than that if you do actually step up to the plate to defend your damaged pride though. I'm looking at some of your other replies, and almost all of them amount to some lame effort to get a last word in just to save face, or simple acknowledgement of points that you overlooked in your own writing. FYI, coming from a reader: it hasn't worked yet. So far it's making you look like even more childish than the writeup does.

But do me a favor. Say "coolstorybro" to this comment. One word, just like that. Stick with what you know. You're not a writer, you're a commenter, so get back to commenting. The world of actual discourse isn't meant for you.
Why would I bother to "come at" you when I can just save my breath? You've already made up your mind about who I am.
Stopped reading at

"I mean, when people are used to doing nothing but press 'X' over and over until an enemy dies, they'll get irate when they actually have to think."

Have you not seen auto-battle in 13/13-2?
Desi

SiR409 said: Stopped reading at

Have you not seen auto-battle in 13/13-2?

Doesn't the existence of auto-battle hint at the superficiality of the battle?
Good laughs were had during the reading of these comments.

Desi said: Doesn't the existence of auto-battle hint at the superficiality of the battle?

Yes indeedy. It's suggesting people don't like the fact they've changed the formula from the previous entries in the series, and this particular comment indicates they have gotten harder and people are getting frustrated as they have to think now. It would in fact be the exact opposite as the inclusion of auto-battling makes it a more mind-numbing experience than ever.
"I spent hours as a kid being a kickass dragoon with a huge spear, or laughing at Aerith's death. But the recipe that made the games successful has been changed, and people nowadays are just not feeling the same magic."

Agreed and LOL.

I personally enjoyed XII but I can safely say that XIII disappointed me greatly. I love the traditional style RPG battling and leveling system combined with the extra elements that each FF game contributes to it. XIII lost my interest so early in the game, it upset me greatly. My brother managed to finish it and I watched him play some of the later content which still didn't appeal to me.

Anyway to each their own. I will never understand why some people attack the author of an article. They are entitled to an opinion, and they are also entitled to voice an opinion, as are you. You can voice your opinion at the author but don't take a shot at the author, it is rude.

Cheers for the decent read.