281 job losses at GAME Australia, 60 stores closed

by Ben Salter Featured 17 Comments 29 Votes 2457 Views 25/05/2012 Back to News

The inevitable job losses at GAME Australia have begun, as 60 stores will be closed across the country, after it entered administration earlier this month.

A total of 281 staff lost their jobs, including 264 from stores and 17 from head office, reports MCV.

Kate Warwick, a partner at administrators PriceWaterhouseCoopers, confirmed the job losses from GAME's staff of approximately 500.

"This is a difficult time for employees and closing the stores was not a decision we made easily. However it is not financially viable to continue to operate at this level at this time," said Warwick.

The remaining 200-300 staff face a nervous wait as their futures are decided over the coming weeks. While several suitors have expressed their interest in saving the struggling retailing, a firm buyer is yet to be found.

We don't know which select stores will remain open in the near future.

By Ben Salter - Bio

Link to us http://wii.mmgn.com/News/281-job-loses-at-GAME-Australia
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

281 job losses at GAME Australia, 60 stores closed Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
This is sad news.....
I feel so sorry for those workers out of a job. But some what sadder for those who have no idea if they will have a job come next week. It's the not knowing that does your head in.
Losses?
i almost applyed for a job there a few months ago. Lucky i didnt lol
That's just under 2/3 of the stores in Aus.
Its a really big shame. :( I wasnt a frequent shopper, but they had a lot of god stuff in there. My local 2 GAMEs are looking a tad empty at the moment.

I hope all the affected employees are able to find jobs.
LMA0
+

l3ailey said: Its a really big shame. I wasnt a frequent shopper, but they had a lot of god stuff in there.


'God' stuff [WTF]

LMA0 said:

l3ailey said: Its a really big shame. I wasnt a frequent shopper, but they had a lot of god stuff in there.


'God' stuff



Still getting used to my new phone. [MOG]
any good staff won't have trouble getting work elsewhere in the industry

lukewarm said: any good staff won't have trouble getting work elsewhere in the industry


Huh?

Besides maybe the head office people who lost their jobs, the majority of those lost jobs would have been basic customer service/sales assistant roles, not exactly something that will give those ex-employees great job prospects...
40% off most stock tho. I got flashpoint red river $15
Great news

stonecold said: Great news



Good news!?!?
Good riddance I say! How can you sustain business when you use the same old tired formula that every other shitty gameshop uses? Second-hand craptacular sales every week... 50% off these shithouse games this week... 50% off these other shithouse games next week. Where's the retail experience? Where's the console stands to have a crack at games? Where's the enthusiastic employees telling you about absolute must-have games of the year? Businesses fail for a reason. Too many game shops that have the same old inflated prices - no wonder online gameshops are wiping the floor with these tired old shops - they don't innovate!

(Yes of course I feel for the honest hard-working employees that lost their jobs - I'm not a cold bastard)
Frankston store closed down.

kangle4 said: Frankston store closed down.


Damn that's the closest store to me.. Lucky there's an EB

M@ndyz said:

kangle4 said: Frankston store closed down.


Damn that's the closest store to me.. Lucky there's an EB



Closest to me aswell, not that I went there much anyway.

Lahmy88 said: Good riddance I say! How can you sustain business when you use the same old tired formula that every other shitty gameshop uses? Second-hand craptacular sales every week... 50% off these shithouse games this week... 50% off these other shithouse games next week. Where's the retail experience? Where's the console stands to have a crack at games? Where's the enthusiastic employees telling you about absolute must-have games of the year? Businesses fail for a reason. Too many game shops that have the same old inflated prices - no wonder online gameshops are wiping the floor with these tired old shops - they don't innovate!
(Yes of course I feel for the honest hard-working employees that lost their jobs - I'm not a cold bastard)


Post a comment

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Recently Read

Featured Wii Content

GOTY 2014: Best Remastered Game

GOTY 2014: Best Remastered Game

1 day ago Polls 0 2
Year In Review, Festivus Edition

Year In Review, Festivus Edition

Tano 4 hours Articles 0 5
Year In Review: Panned Games We Enjoyed

Year In Review: Panned Games We Enjoyed

Tano 1 day Articles 6 6
MMGN Game Of The Year 2014 voting now open

MMGN Game Of The Year 2014 voting now open

Tano 5 days News 3 24
Friendly Fire Show 80: GOTY extravaganza!

Friendly Fire Show 80: GOTY extravaganza!

Podcast 15/12 Articles 2 5
11 Hilarious Chinese game console rip-offs

11 Hilarious Chinese game console rip-offs

Gryllis 12/12 Articles 26 56
I'm 27 years old and I have a serious Amiibo addiction

I'm 27 years old and I have a serious Amiibo addiction

Jickle 08/12 Articles 8 10

Community Content

Awesome Gaming Stuff Of Tomorrow, Today! Vol. 3

Awesome Gaming Stuff Of Tomorrow, Today! Vol. 3

02/09/2014 Blog 11 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

commented on Year In Review: Panned Games We Enjoyed

Pilot 5 hours ago
Username

classicair just unlocked the Welcomed achievement!

classicair 8 hours ago
Username

KezDaMuss, jackaranda, DarkEnemy commented on Win a Sony Mobile Prize Pack! Including an Xperia Z3, PlayStation 4 and Game Cave

KezDaMuss 15 hours ago
Username

bjsmas, GTADude, Lantean, timmyk commented on Win a Sony Mobile Prize Pack! Including an Xperia Z3, PlayStation 4 and Game Cave

bjsmas 21 hours ago
Username

RaindrixX got Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sniper Elite III, Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition, Dying Light and other 8 games

RaindrixX 1 day ago
Username

RaindrixX just unlocked the The Collector achievement!

RaindrixX 1 day ago
Username

commented on Eminem - The Monster (Explicit) ft. Rihanna

William614 1 day ago
Username

I am getting acquainted my new MMGN Account

William614 1 day ago
Username

William614 just unlocked the Welcomed achievement!

William614 1 day ago