All GAME Australia stores to close

by Ben Salter Featured 25 Comments 34 Votes 3763 Views 19/06/2012 Back to News

All remaining GAME Australia stores will close, administrator PriceWaterhouseCoopers has confirmed.

The future of the troubled retailer has been uncertain since it entered administration in May, following a similar situation in the UK. There was some hope of saving at least some of its Australian locations after initial closures, but a suitable buyer could not be found.

PwC has announced that 16 of the remaining stores have been closed today, and the rest will soon follow.

"In the interests of creditors, the 31 remaining GAME stores are to be closed over the coming weeks and a final closing down sale has commenced with discounts of up to 60 percent available in-store and online," said PwC partner Kate Warwick.

“This is a difficult time for employees and closing the stores was not a decision we made easily. Despite exploring available opportunities for continued trading, the ongoing trading performance and absence of viable offers for the purchase of the business has resulted in these closures."

Our condolences go out to GAME staff.

By Ben Salter - Bio

Link to us http://wii.mmgn.com/News/All-GAME-Australia-stores-to-close
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

All GAME Australia stores to close Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
That's sad.

The online store discounts seem to have been snapped up already. Now many games left.
Inevitable.
U wait mark my words GAME will rise again. [MOG]
I never bought a game from there, but I loved the atmosphere of the stores. They had merchandise, old school game consoles and old school games.
I want more gametraders
:'(
Well there goes my store credit... :'(

beralj said: Well there goes my store credit...

It's not like you weren't warned... @_@

LMA0 said: U wait mark my words GAME will rise again.

And what will become of it? I'm pretty sure they lost A LOT of face value by not honouring Diablo 3 (and future) pre-orders so who the hell would even shop there?

I just ordered four games from their 60off online clearance sale. Sad to see them go.
It's just business, this is what can happen to any business/franchise.
Sad to see this happening, but such is the way of business

Mirage said:

LMA0 said: U wait mark my words GAME will rise again.

I see u had bad history and a grudge with GAME.
Btw I was joking about my post. GAME probably wont be back they made bad marketing desicions.
Woohoo. Partytime :D

LMA0 said:

Mirage said:

LMA0 said: U wait mark my words GAME will rise again.

I see u had bad history and a grudge with GAME.

ill go in there and buy a game when they put skylanders on the 60% off list insted of "SALE" list
Sad for the employees :(
That is really sad. All the best for the employees that were affected by this.

LMA0 said:

Mirage said:

LMA0 said: U wait mark my words GAME will rise again.

I see u had bad history and a grudge with GAME.

Yeah....no. I've made at least two blogs on this website now pretty much promoting them for their excellent customer service.
look at the bright side

lets say all the game employees suddenly start working at eb or jbhifi

suddenly eb is better
I called it

Leasha said: Sad for the employees

at least they get paid out for it.

my brothers looking for a new job but theyre not leaving them completely high and dry. he got told monday morning to close the store and start packing the games up and leave the shopping center.
The one in maroochydore has shut down :(
dont care download free game on PC better *_*

XSHOT client is now ready to download!
Get yourself ready for the closed beta testing on 11th February 2014 by download the client now at xshot.winneronline.com.au/...
You do realise we aren't gullible dickheads right