The bill to introduce an R18+ rating for video games in Australia will go before parliament when it first meets for the year on February 7.
An in-principle agreement was reached between the states in July last year, where former Federal Minister for Home Affairs Brendan O'Connor said that it would happen in February, 2012. While O'Connor has been reassigned and replaced by Jason Clare, that time-frame will be honored, reports GameSpot AU.
"Our plans are to introduce the R18+ bill in the first session of parliament this year," a spokesperson for Clare's office said. "If it passes the Lower House, it will then go to the Senate for the same process."
However, it could be years before the amendments are made. After the bill passes through the Lower House, it needs to get support through the Senate.