Wii U Australian release date is December 6 - rumour

by Ben Salter Featured 19 Comments 26 Votes 1268 Views 14/08/2012 Back to News

An anonymous retailer says the Wii U will be released in Australia on December 6.

The tipster revealed the date to Kotaku, which is near-as-makes-no-difference six years to the day after the Wii launched in Australia. It came out on December 7, 2006.

Despite receiving the tip anonymously, Kotaku is also reporting that all pre-orders put down at EB Games will be met. The Wii suffered shortages that meant some pre-orders were delayed past the launch date.

December 6 is in-line with previous rumours that suggest Nintendo is planning a November launch for Japan and North America, just ahead of Thanksgiving, and an early December launch for Australia and Europe. It's also a Thursday, the day Australia usually receives new things.

However, it's all just a rumour at this stage. Nintendo Australia is denying to comment until Nintendo makes an official announcement.

By Ben Salter

Link to us http://wii.mmgn.com/News/wii-u-australian-release-date-is-decembe
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

Wii U Australian release date is December 6 - rumour Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
Seems legit

Wii U Australian release date is December 6 - rumour
Probably. Surely wouldn't be any later.
ready for xmas [Derp]
If it's after Christmas then it's just a big mistake. I personally think end of November - start of December to make it in time for Christmas sales.
Looking forward to it! I think I might wait til the price goes down, though!
If this date is to be believed they're leaving it a tad late for Christmas in Europe and Australia unless they start heavily advertising it in November. Guess they want to focus their efforts on manufacturing enough units for the release in Japan and the US which is understandable .

I think launching into the European and Australian markets that late into the Christmas period leaves a huge opening for Sony and Microsoft to take advantage of and I do think they've learned not to make the same mistakes they did when the Wii first launched all those years back - We'll see a huge surge of aggressive marketing for the casual market from them.

In the end, If they're going to run into 'problems' like they did with the wii, I guess pre-ordering a month or so in advance will offset the launch in early December when the Christmas period is in full swing. Still, I'd be pretty annoyed being told that my pre-order is delayed due to lack of stock.

punk said: If this date is to be believed they're leaving it a tad late for Christmas in Europe and Australia unless they start heavily advertising it in November. Guess they want to focus their efforts on manufacturing enough units for the release in Japan and the US which is understandable .
I think launching into the European and Australian markets that late into the Christmas period leaves a huge opening for Sony and Microsoft to take advantage of and I do think they've learned not to make the same mistakes they did when the Wii first launched all those years back - We'll see a huge surge of aggressive marketing for the casual market from them.
In the end, If they're going to run into 'problems' like they did with the wii, I guess pre-ordering a month or so in advance will offset the launch in early December when the Christmas period is in full swing. Still, I'd be pretty annoyed being told that my pre-order is delayed due to lack of stock.



"Despite receiving the tip anonymously, Kotaku is also reporting that all pre-orders put down at EB Games will be met. The Wii suffered shortages that meant some pre-orders were delayed past the launch date."

The Wii was the same, launched 2 weeks after US did, so it seems perfectly legit. I have someone i know who works higher up in EB so ima ask them.
What advantages is microsoft and sony have with the Wii U being launched then. Not like the other 2 have anything coming out
This date suits me well, i hope it is roughly this
Seems like a pretty safe bet to me, its just logical. Nintendo will aim to hit the big US sales at then end of november and then launch in smaller teritories before christmas. Going to pop down and preorder one in the next week or so. I've got the money put aside for it.

chucky110 said: What advantages is microsoft and sony have with the Wii U being launched then. Not like the other 2 have anything coming out


Maybe a few exclusives coming out during that time? Even then, I don't see anything new coming from then in time for Christmas that would affect Wii U sales.
i think it's going to around december because of xmas and how big the sales are going to be
I'm going to hold off pre-ordering for a while longer until I see what bundle deals EB Games will offer.
pre ordered mine over a month ago. put $70 down on it, only because i traded in PS Vita games and sold off my Vita for $300.
As long as its before Chrissy I'm happy. :D
Do we have a price yet
$399 would be good

ZOIDBERG said: Do we have a price yet
$399 would be good


it not going to be 400 its probily going to be around the 700 mark

ZOIDBERG said: Do we have a price yet
$399 would be good



No chance for Australia.

$550 is my bet.

Ben said:

ZOIDBERG said: Do we have a price yet
$399 would be good


No chance for Australia.
$550 is my bet.


yep thats pretty much what i am expecting too.

What they said at E3 also gives me high hopes for a decent price www.computerandvideogames.com/...

Post a comment

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Recently Read

Featured Wii Content

Most Anticipated September Game

Most Anticipated September Game

6 days ago Polls 2 8
Nintendo on why Wii U doesn't have many exclusives

Nintendo on why Wii U doesn't have many exclusives

Tano 1 day News 0 1
Big games of September

Big games of September

Tano 6 days Articles 11 9
GST will be added to buying games from overseas retailers

GST will be added to buying games from overseas retailers

Gryllis 21/08 News 6 15
New Rare Revealed videos will be added to YouTube

New Rare Revealed videos will be added to YouTube

Gryllis 21/08 News 0 2
Deus Ex creator opening PAX Aus 2015 keynote

Deus Ex creator opening PAX Aus 2015 keynote

Gryllis 18/08 News 0 5
Friendly Fire Show 102: A New Hope

Friendly Fire Show 102: A New Hope

Podcast 17/08 Articles 1 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X limited edition announced

Xenoblade Chronicles X limited edition announced

Gryllis 06/08 News 2 5

Community Content

What's it really like going to E3?

What's it really like going to E3?

12/06/2015 Blog 5 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

commented on Gaming will be a major focus of Apple TV 4 - report

chucky110 12 mins ago
Username

Sesshy is now Level 4!

Sesshy 35 mins ago
Username

Skiparoo just unlocked the Welcomed achievement!

Skiparoo 6 hours ago
Username

Marshal976, Matrix6, maxiboy commented on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided release date announced, desperately wants pre-orders

Marshal976 8 hours ago
Username

Gryllis, alexwillia commented on Win Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain on PlayStation 4!

Gryllis 10 hours ago
Username

Happy MGSeptemVer Day

Matrix6 10 hours ago